Battery-electric Suzuki Jimny Will Be Available In Europe

Suzuki is set to launch five new electric vehicles in Europe by 2030, including the Mini-4×4

Suzuki, the Japanese automobile manufacturer, has announced ambitious plans to launch five new electric vehicles (EVs) in Europe by 2030 as part of its strategy to achieve carbon neutrality in the region by 2050. The company has also committed to investing £3 billion in battery development.

The first EV to hit the market will be a production version of the recently unveiled eVX concept, a Suzuki S-Cross-sized crossover boasting a 342-mile range. However, it is expected that the electric variant of the popular Suzuki Jimny, a compact SUV, will feature a different platform from the eVX to maintain its affordability. It is anticipated that the electric version of the Jimny will provide significant improvements in power and torque compared to its current counterpart, powered by a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine.

Suzuki has also released an official preview image of the electric Jimny, which suggests that the model will retain its distinctive two-box silhouette, slatted grille, and squat proportions, with new star-shaped headlights hinting at a subtle redesign.

In addition to the electric Jimny, Suzuki will also introduce electric SUVs and B-segment models in Europe from 2024. The company is also considering the launch of two larger electric SUVs, which could potentially rival the popular Vauxhall Mokka Electric and Kia Niro EV.

As part of its drive towards sustainability, Suzuki is investing 2.5 trillion yen (£15 billion) in the construction of a battery plant and other developments. The company predicts that 80% of the cars it sells in Europe will be battery-electric, with the remaining 20% being hybrids.

However, Suzuki will not become an EV-only brand and will continue to develop a carbon-neutral combustion engine for sale in other global markets. The company also plans to power cars sold in fast-developing, core regions such as India with biogas and ethanol mixed fuels, and continue to develop hybrid powertrains in Japan

Written by Aly Bukshi

The editorial staff at IPIN is a team of news publishing experts led by Aly Bakshi. We publish interesting and informative news/articles all over the world. Our aim is to provide readers with the latest and most up-to-date information possible.